[GTALUG] Setting up a VM host

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Sep 6 09:18:23 EDT 2016

On Sat, Sep 03, 2016 at 07:39:30PM -0400, William Park via talk wrote:
> This is where my confusion starts...
>
>     - I can run VirtualBox or QEMU, but not both at the same time.

You can run qemu without -enable-kvm at the same time as virtualbox,
but it is quite slow when run that way.  It is only when running kvm
(which is qemu with -enable-kvm) that you can't run virtualbox (and
probably not vmware either for that matter).  Only one vm system using
vt-x can be enabled at a time.

>     - VirtualBox can run with or without KVM modules.

No apparently virtualbox can not run if kvm kernel modules are loaded.

>     - QEMU requires KVM modules.

Only if you run it with -enable-kvm.  Otherwise it does its own (slower)
thing.

> Current machine: i3 cpu, H97 chipset

As far as I know all i3 chips have vt-x, so that should be fine.

--
Len Sorensen