[GTALUG] anyone running linux on a new dell xps 9550

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso at utoronto.ca
Mon Sep 5 13:09:07 EDT 2016

On 22/08/16 20:11, Dave Cramer via talk wrote:
> incredibly cheap powerful machine, a bit too new. Anyone here have any real
> world experience?

I've used an XPS 9350 with Ubuntu 16.04 and it was superb[1]. Seriously
great display on the 13", I'm sure the 15" is just as nice, especially
with the 4K display. The NVMe storage option makes full disk encryption
still perform faster than on regular SATA.

If you want a system with i7/16GB RAM, compare with the HP Spectre 360.
At that spec level, I think the cost/performance ratio tips in favour of
the HP units.

Last thing to note - if you're after battery life, get the
non-touchscreen version.

Cheers, Jamon

[1] Ultimately, I sent it back. Mine had the infamous coil-whine issue,
where I could hear anything CPU/GPU intensive causing the whine around
6500kHz and 15kHz. It was too much for me, but no one else around could
hear it. If you're interested in one, but worried this might be an issue
for you, try http://onlinetonegenerator.com/ with sawtooth waveforms.