[GTALUG] thinkpad repair; or, new laptop

Matt Price moptop99 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 14:52:20 EDT 2016

My THinkpad T440s is having some serious issues with suspend -- at times it
will enter a hard freeze while suspended, requiring a hard reset with the
manual reset button; at times it won't suspend at all, but enter a
similarly unresponsive, blank-screen state from which it cannot be
accessesd, requiring a soft reset with the power button; and at other times
it will suspend just fine.

1) I suppose this could be at least partly a software problem. Anyone know
what logs I should look in? I'm running Gnome on Arch, so it's a systemd
system.

2) I suspect this is atl east partly a hardware problem. My warranty is
expired. Is there a decent thinkpad repair place that might be able to
diagnose this issue?

3) if I can't fix this, I will be getting a new laptop shortly. It would be
nice if I could use my new m2 drive (which is currently in an LVM together
with the primary SSD from the thinkpad, but I'd hate to lose it entirely as
it wasn't cheap). The Thinkpad T460 looks like it will end up costing about
$2000. I'd like to get a linux-compatible machine with a nice keyboard, but
pay a bit less than that if I can (it's only been a couple of years since I
bought the last one!). Any suggestions? THe keyboard has always been the
killer feature that keeps me with Thinkpad, but maybe things have gotten
better in the last little while?

Thanks as always!
Matt