[GTALUG] restore GPT partition table?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Oct 26 11:20:16 EDT 2016

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 11:06:02PM +0100, Jamon Camisso via talk wrote:
> You've outdone yourself and all of us. I had no idea about that backup
> GPT location. Maybe I should learn to appreciate GPT a little more?
>
> TIL!

It's one of the nice features they added.

All partitions are the same (no stupid primary/extended crap), you can
have 128 of them, they can have identifiers that are quite large (uuid)
for both the type and as a unique identifier.  It has a CRC check to
determine if it was corrupted, and a backup copy as far away as possible
to assist when the primary fails.  It is great.  I can't think of any
reason to stick with MBR partition tables, other than if you run windows
on a machine without EFI.  linux works fine with grub on GPT booting
from BIOS.

Oh and support for disks larger than 2TB is a nice feature too.

--
Len Sorensen