[GTALUG] little PCs for internet gateways

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Tue Oct 25 22:27:37 EDT 2016

On 10/25/2016 05:47 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> By gateway, I mean router/firewall/whatever box that sits between your
> LAN and the internet.
>
> Reasonable choices:
>
> - ISP-provided / sanctioned device (combo wireless router and modem)
>
> - ISP modem + user provided wireless router
>
>    + possibly running custom firmware like CeroWRT or OpenWRT
>
> - ISP modem + PC acting as router
>
>    + lots of possible software (pfsense, debian, whatever)
>
> For a variety of reasons I've always used PCs.  But which PCs are best
> for this?

I have used http://www.acrosser.com/ for a number of network projects.
The nice thing about their products is that they have enough horsepower
to run a full up linux install.

They once upon a time had some nice fanless 6port  computers which were
great for router/firewall applications.

They are not the cheapest but if you look around you will see lots of
their products re-branded by others as complete solutions.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||