[GTALUG] restore GPT partition table?

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Tue Oct 25 08:07:46 EDT 2016

The partition table is still in memoryso you will have some luck till
you reboot or force the system to do a partprobe.

The following link points to how to recover your partition from the in
system data:
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/43922/how-to-read-the-in-memory-kernel-partition-table-of-dev-sda

That being said first you should  back up all the data you can to an
external drive
If your going to play with testdisk then it is best to learn on an image
of the broken drive so copy the whole drive off to some other system to
play with.

I have trashed enough systems in my time to know that a good backup is
the best way to insure that things go well.

On 10/25/2016 07:33 AM, Matt Price via talk wrote:
> OK, so I did this
>
> dd if=some.iso of=/dev/sdb
>
> oops -- that's not the USB key! that's my internal m.2 drive!
>
> The partition table is gone, but it used to contain 2 partitions, both
> of them in an LVM, one of them part of an extended logical volume that
> added space to /home on my overburdened main drive. I haven't lost
> much data (just the first 700mb were overwritten), and amazingly my
> laptop continues to run just fine -- even though lvscan reports a
> missing drive, apparently the data is still findable.
>
> I'd like to restore the partition table but I don't know where the
> partition boundaries are, and in any case I don't know how to write a
> partition table (!). What tools should I use? Preferably without
> turning off my laptop, since I'm afraid it won't boot back up again!

Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||