[GTALUG] restore GPT partition table?

Matt Price moptop99 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 07:33:30 EDT 2016

OK, so I did this

dd if=some.iso of=/dev/sdb

oops -- that's not the USB key! that's my internal m.2 drive!

The partition table is gone, but it used to contain 2 partitions, both of
them in an LVM, one of them part of an extended logical volume that added
space to /home on my overburdened main drive. I haven't lost much data
(just the first 700mb were overwritten), and amazingly my laptop continues
to run just fine -- even though lvscan reports a missing drive, apparently
the data is still findable.

I'd like to restore the partition table but I don't know where the
partition boundaries are, and in any case I don't know how to write a
partition table (!). What tools should I use? Preferably without turning
off my laptop, since I'm afraid it won't boot back up again!