[GTALUG] An Open Source Auto Time Tracker

Myles Braithwaite 👾 me at mylesbraithwaite.com
Mon Oct 24 09:16:15 EDT 2016

tl;dr Looking for an open source alternative to RescueTime and WakaTime.

I'm currently using RescueTime and WakaTime to track what I do and how
long I do it on my computer.

As an example RescueTime will tell me how many hours I have watched
YouTube last month (8h 56m) and WakaTime tracks how long I have worked
on a project in a text editor or IDE (i.e. I worked on my Ansible talk I
did at GTALUG last month for 6h 3m).

I use multiple computers and having that data in a convenient web
dashboard and sent to me in a weekly email is really beneficial to my
productivity.

The issue with WakaTime and RescueTime is they are proprietary software
and services. I haven't been able to find a good Open Source project
that replicates their core functionality (i.e. a central place to store
the data and a good auto time tracker).

I was wondering if there is a good open source alternative?