[GTALUG] VirtualBox Guest Additions in Ubuntu VM doesn't work

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 14:52:06 EDT 2016

On Oct 20, 2016 6:04 AM, "William Park via talk" <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> Question for Ubuntu users...
>
> VirtualBox Guest Additions installed by default on Ubuntu/Kubuntu VM is
> 5.0.18, ie.
>     modinfo vboxsf
>
> Now, when I try to upgrade to latest 5.1.8, the install script
> (VBoxLinuxAdditions.run inside VBoxGuestAdditions.iso) finishes OK, but
> the version is still 5.0.18.  Looking at kernel drivers, it seems that I
> have 2 versions of drivers:
>     kernel/ubuntu/vbox/...      --> from Ubuntu kernel
>     misc/...                    --> newly compiled
>
> When I removed the default kernel drivers, then it uses the newly
> compiled 5.1.8 drivers. (which is what I want)
>
> What is Ubuntu-way of removing kernel drivers, or specifying which
> driver should be loaded?

I don't particularly use Ubuntu but here's a link to automatically
sortinging things after a kernel update.

Make sure dkms is the latest version...

http://askubuntu.com/questions/408605/what-does-dkms-do-how-do-i-use-it

If you don't update your kernel all that often and don't want to use dkms,
so as to stay completely repo based, it's best to uninstall/purge with apt.
Do this before you upgrade  previously installed applications that use
modules which are not included in your stock kernel.

Or you can try this after each kernel update.

sudo apt-get install --reinstall virtualbox-{whatever version}.

Hope this helps.
> --
> William

Russell