[GTALUG] OT - the heuristics of privacy

Scott Elcomb psema4 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 12:49:41 EDT 2016

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 11:47 AM, Russell Reiter via talk
<talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> Interesting tech news about Stingray surveillance. I wonder if there is some
> way to detect that an intruder has captured your signal. You can test for
> capture and cause them to power down by having someone near you call 911.
> Apparently authorities have to let EMS calls access the real network. I
> think black hats.... umm not so much.
>
> http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/technology/government-surveillance-rules-rcmp-csis-1.3769014

It'd be interesting to see what an open monitoring network might
reveal.  Here's a Raspberry Pi - Stingray Detector that uses a
Raspberry Pi along with a SIM 900 module to monitor local cell towers:

<https://hackaday.io/project/15711-raspberry-pi-stingray-detector>

--
  Scott Elcomb         @psema4
     http://www.pirateparty.ca/