[GTALUG] Ubuntu

Elliott Chapin echapin at teksavvy.com
Thu Nov 24 10:56:43 EST 2016

Ubuntu on a chromebook is normally a layer on top of ChromeOS. Easy but
a little awkward; e.g., ChromeOS retains control of some underlying
devices which you may want Ubuntu to take over. Unlocking the hardware
write protect can be risky. IMO, ordinary laptops are a better bet; you
replace W$ or add other OSs as multiple boot options - many Linux
distro's available. I use Fedora alone on an old Acer.

On 11/22/2016 03:53 PM, Irwin Barrer via talk wrote:
> Dear Talk List Members
>
> I am brand new to Linux, open source, etc. I am a user, not a developer.
>
> I am interested in buying a laptop and installing Ubuntu on it—I like the idea of a free alternative to Windows or MacOS, and price is a big factor.
>
> A while back I saw some relatively inexpensive laptops on Dell with Ubuntu preinstalled. Unfortunately these are no longer available and only a high-end developer system is available with Ubuntu preinstalled.
>
> So I have started looking into laptops with Chrome OS (Chromebooks) and installing Ubuntu. I’ve done some research, but still uncertain. Intel processors seem to be a must and 4GB RAM—which is the most I can find on a Chromebook.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with Ubuntu? Any help/advice would be appreciated.
>
> Best
> IB
>

> Irwin Barrer
> irwin at irwinb.com