[GTALUG] unexpected firefox "server not found" messages

Myles Braithwaite 👾 me at mylesbraithwaite.com
Thu Nov 24 09:06:39 EST 2016

On November 24, 2016 at 8:53:44 AM, Evan Leibovitch via talk
(talk at gtalug.org) wrote:
> > I despise Chrome for its reporting to the alphabet company all my
> > browsing!!
>
> You can have ​all the Chromey goodness of the browser with none of the
> creepy phone-home stuff.

According to this article (published in 2014)[0], Chromium still phones home.

Now it’s phoning home is limited to kind of important stuff making
sure you are using the latest version of the browser, extensions
updates, and TLS certificate integrity checks. Mozilla, Opera, and IE
do similar checks so it’s ends up being who do you trust your data
with.

Personally the benefit I get from Google having my browser history out
ways my fear of the alphabet company and acronym agency.

[0]: <http://thesimplecomputer.info/the-private-life-of-chromium-browsers>