[GTALUG] unexpected firefox "server not found" messages

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Wed Nov 23 09:52:43 EST 2016

Once in a while I've been getting "Server not found" errors from Firefox
that surprise me.  The links are to real sites.  Other browsers can see
the site.

I thought that the problem might have to do with some tightened
security rules.  No, the problem is IPv6.

I don't have IPv6 at home.  But Fedora has it enabled normally.  This
generally doesn't cause problems.  But now it has.

Fix:
<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/server-not-found-connection-problem?redirectlocale=en-US&redirectslug=Server+not+found#w_ipv6>

type URL "about:firefox"
Change the setting of network.dns.disableIPv6 to true.

(Setting Fedora (glibc?) to not try IPv6 might make other things
faster.  I don't remember how to do this.)