[GTALUG] Ubuntu

Irwin Barrer irwin at irwinb.com
Tue Nov 22 15:53:41 EST 2016

Dear Talk List Members

I am brand new to Linux, open source, etc. I am a user, not a developer.

I am interested in buying a laptop and installing Ubuntu on it—I like the idea of a free alternative to Windows or MacOS, and price is a big factor.

A while back I saw some relatively inexpensive laptops on Dell with Ubuntu preinstalled. Unfortunately these are no longer available and only a high-end developer system is available with Ubuntu preinstalled.

So I have started looking into laptops with Chrome OS (Chromebooks) and installing Ubuntu. I’ve done some research, but still uncertain. Intel processors seem to be a must and 4GB RAM—which is the most I can find on a Chromebook.

Does anyone have any experience with Ubuntu? Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Best
IB

Irwin Barrer
irwin at irwinb.com