[GTALUG] Deal on open source compatible router

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay at dinamis.com
Mon Nov 21 21:02:09 EST 2016

On 21/11/16 01:55 PM, Lennart Sorensen via talk wrote:
> I see NCIX has the Linksys WRT1900ACS on sale today for $200 (down from
> the usual $300).
>
> I have the WRT1900ACv2 which is the same hardware as the ACS and am
> running LEDE (https://www.lede-project.org/) on it and it works great.
>
> Not bad for a router with dual Cortex-A9 1.6GHz CPU, 512MB ram, 128MB
> flash, USB3 and USB2 eSATAp.

I want to replace my aging PII-266 small form factor Compaq with 128M of
RAM running IPCop but it's not clear to me why I'd pick this device over
a fanless PC, like the Zotac ZBOX CI323 Nano
<http://www.ncix.com/detail/zotac-zbox-ci323-nano-u-1e-126183.htm>,
which is similar to the Zotac boxes that Hugh pointed out a few weeks
ago. It may end up costing marginally more money to put together a
firewall/gateway device with the Zotac but it seems to me that I'd have
a more fully featured device. What does the Linksys offer that the Zotac
doesn't have, other than wi-fi, which I don't care about since I already
have "fast enough" wi-fi anyway?

--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay