[GTALUG] Certificate Error On Chrome

Michael Galea michael at galeahome.ca
Wed Nov 16 21:42:51 EST 2016

I went to pay my cell providers bill via Chromium on Debian and it threw
a "Site not secure" error at me.  That was odd as I had paid at the same
site many times before.

I reported the problem to the cell provider's customer support line, not
really expecting much.  To my surprise they requested screenshots, and I
provided them.

The tech came back and replied, "I have seen this error before. Click on
“ADVANCED” and you should then have an option to proceed to website and
this should resolve the issue". :-)

I replied that I would try paying by another means thanks, and that if I
was seeing the site warning, others were likely to as well..

Google was reporting "Certificate Error : There are issues with the
site's certificate chain net::ERR_CERTIFICATE_TRANSPARENCY_REQUIRED)."
Apparently, Google started following a 2013 protocol that detects
fraudulent certificates, and the cell providers certificate vendor does
not support it.

Has anyone else seen these sorts of certificate problems, and why now?

--
Michael Galea