[GTALUG] Kelly Gotlieb

James Knott james.knott at rogers.com
Sat Nov 5 12:16:42 EDT 2016

On 11/05/2016 09:08 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> - there was no reasonable way to send a gigabyte of data by teletype in
>   the 1950s.  The typical speed would be 10 characters per second (110
>   baud) or less.  A gigabyte would take three years solid.  And
>   nothing could easily store it.

It wouldn't have been 110 baud in the 50s either.  That was 100 words
per minute ASCII and ASCII wouldn't have been created until the early
60s.  In the 50s, 100 WPM Baudot ran at 74.2 baud.

"He pioneered a computerized reservation system for Trans-Canada
Airlines (now Air Canada)"

Actually, Air Canada and CN shared a reservation system, that was run on
a Collins 8500 computer system at 151 Front St. W..  This is the oldest
LAN I ever saw, dating back to the 60s.  Instead of packets, it used
time division multiplexing over the coaxial cable.  Later, their system
moved to a newer Collins system, which I used to work on.  The old
system was on the 4th floor at 151 Front and the newer was on the 6th,
later expanding to the 7th floor.