[GTALUG] Kelly Gotlieb

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sat Nov 5 09:08:23 EDT 2016

C. C. "Kelly" Gotlieb died on October 16 at age 95.  Kelly was one of
the zeroth generation of Canadian Computing.  Probably the last I
knew.

(I don't remember ever calling him "Kelly" to his face.  I never felt
that I was a peer of his.  At one point he and I had neigbouring
offices in a backwater of the Sanford Flemming Building so I got to
have a few unhurried chats with him.)

<http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/kelly-gotlieb-was-the-father-of-canadian-computing/article32672798/>

Nit picking the Globe article:

- there was no reasonable way to send a gigabyte of data by teletype in
  the 1950s.  The typical speed would be 10 characters per second (110
  baud) or less.  A gigabyte would take three years solid.  And
  nothing could easily store it.

- I don't think that Kelly had long talks with Turing.  I asked Kelly
  about Turing and my recollection is that Turing was not very
  conversational with Kelly.  Of course my recollection is not 100%
  reliable.

- His PhD thesis my well still be classified -- Kelly liked to tell
  that story.  But I don't think it was about "cybernetics".  It came
  out of his work with the team that studied artillery shells with the
  new and secret "proximity fuse".  This allied invention was perhaps as
  secret and important as the atomic bomb in World War II.
	<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proximity_fuze>
	<https://www.npa.org/public/interviews/careers_interview_331.cfm>