[GTALUG] Need help with DNS Nameservers

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Wed Nov 2 13:57:15 EDT 2016

On 11/02/2016 01:35 PM, David Mason via talk wrote:
> I have a domain for my family email (and other things) mason-rose.ca
> <http://mason-rose.ca>
>
> The DNS is on a machine that is currently unstable (meaning I can't
> physically access it for 2 weeks, I can't ssh in, and it can't be
> blown away).  Foolishly, both of the required DNS namesevers point to
> the same machine.  Postfix on that machine was forwarding all our
> family email to various gmail accounts, and this is currently not
> working... mail is being dropped on the floor... partner is
> *NOT*HAPPY* (nor am I, but...).
>
> The Postfix was essentially forwarding dmason at mason-rose.ca
> <mailto:dmason at mason-rose.ca> to my gmail, my-partner at mason-rose.ca
> <mailto:my-partner at mason-rose.ca> to her gmail, and
> everything-else at mason-rose.ca <mailto:everything-else at mason-rose.ca>
> to both of us.  This wasn't working perfectly, as email from gmail
> routed through this would take a very long time, or fail (because
> gmail didn't trust it coming sort-of from gmail and back to gmail).
>
> I was trying to set up mailgun.com <http://mailgun.com> to forward my
> email, which requires DNS records to be set up while continuing to use
> the postfix setup.  So I would like to set up alternate nameservers,
> to get my mail flowing again. But with the postfix server dead, I
> don't know if mailgun will do all I want.
>
> So, first and foremost, I need DNS Servers that can host the DNS records.
>
> Any insight/help appreciated.
>
> Thanks  ../Dave

generally most registrars will offer DNS services along with the
registration.
So you should be able to login to your registrar and setup your zone and
be up and running within minutes.
For a small static domain using the registrar is just about the easiest
thing to do.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||