[GTALUG] Used computers

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Tue May 31 16:07:00 EDT 2016

| From: Tim Tisdall <tisdall at gmail.com>
|
|   I wish there was a computer landfill open to the
| public...  I'm sure people are throwing out just what I'm looking for.

Amen to that.

I went to Community Environment Day on Saturday.  They are on most
weekends during warm weather.
<http://www.toronto.ca/311/knowledgebase/30/101000038830.html>
<http://www1.toronto.ca/City%20Of%20Toronto/Solid%20Waste%20Management%20Services/1.%20Overview/1.2.%20Community%20Environment%20Days/ced16_schedule-bring_may5-16.pdf>

They welcome ewaste but it ends up at a commercial recycler.  I'm
pretty sure it just gets selectively melted down.

If you see a computer that you'd like, intercept the donor BEFORE
they get to the stand.  If it hits the table or a staffer's hand, it
is gone.

I have rescued a small number of computers over the years.  This year
I only donated.

I talked to the senior City staffer there about actual re-use or
repair but there are some problems:

- a contract with the recycling firm.  Planning would have to start
  now for next year since contracts are awarded annually.

- no electricity for testing

- no staffing (I could imagine volunteering but a year's commitment is
  a bit much)

- (unstated but likely serious) liability issues

Notice on the second link they say:

    Donate other items for reuse:
	Eye-glasses, walking aids, hearing aids, etc.

They would NOT accept a walker I brought due to liability issues.