[GTALUG] Used computers

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Tue May 31 14:43:58 EDT 2016

| From: Tim Tisdall <tisdall at gmail.com>

| On 31 May 2016 at 12:06, Evan Leibovitch <evan at telly.org> wrote:

| > It depends on intended use. If it's to run a specific Windows-specific
| > app, that will limits option.

Absolutely.

Also: what might make him feel good.  Sometimes people feel better or
more confident with brandnames.  Or with new as opposed to used.

| Yeah, it's mostly for checking email, but it may also get used for
| Skype and possibly other things.  I was intending to put Linux but
| he's most familiar with Windows and I'm not sure his willingness to
| learn something new.
|
| The old computer is a desktop, so I don't think there's any concern
| either way about form factor.

It's alien to me, but more and more people seem to be doing mail and
Skype on tablets and cell phones.  Lots of older folks seem to prefer
tablets.

Some decent tablets are fairly inexpensive.