[GTALUG] Network down after reboot

El Fontanero el.fontanero at gmail.com
Tue May 31 00:41:50 EDT 2016

On 31/05/16 12:34 AM, William Witteman wrote:
> I have always set up networking in a text file - very explicitly.  I
> thought that something Gnome-y had wormed its way in there and
> "helped".
>
> However, I have a partial solution - I ran an "ifup eth0", and I have
> a network again.  What I wonder now is why isn't that happening when I
> boot up?

That is odd. udev is correct, network/interfaces is OK.  Perhaps it's
time to look over the logs, or poke through /etc/rc?.d/ and /etc/init.d
to see if anything has gone astray.  Again, my experience of Network
Manager, whatever its foibles, has at least stayed out of the way of
whatever I had set up in network/interfaces.

This is why the truly paranoid just set up /etc/ as a git repository...

This is also what you get when systems have uptimes reaching hundreds of
days, as opposed to needing to reboot every hour or two.

Cheers,
Mike