[GTALUG] Printing Problem - Can't find printer

Allan Zhang allan at azic.ca
Fri May 27 12:12:52 EDT 2016

Did the printer show up when you wirelessly added it in CUPS, or did you manually add it using the known IP?

Maybe CUPS doesn't see it.

Wiki page here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingPrintingProblems

Relevant part of wiki:

Open a terminal/console and run the commands:
$ ping <IP of the printer>
$ nmap <IP of the printer>
Replace "<IP of the printer>" by the printer's IP address. The first command checks whether you can access the printer through the network, the second shows which port numbers are used by the printer and through this which protocols are active (80: Has web interface, 139: SMB, 443: encrypted IPP or encrypted web interface, 515: LPD, 631: IPP, 9100: JetDirect/AppSocket). Install the "nmap" package if needed.

Run the commands:
$ /usr/lib/cups/backend/snmp
$ sudo /usr/lib/cups/backend/dnssd
The output shows whether the printers get found by CUPS or system-config-printer and with which device URIs and protocols.

Run the command
$ /usr/lib/cups/backend/snmp <IP of the printer>
if a printer does not get found by the simple "/usr/lib/cups/backend/snmp" call.

Find out if your printer gets detected by CUPS:
$ lpinfo -v