[GTALUG] example of why RISC was a good idea

James Knott james.knott at rogers.com
Sun May 22 18:36:44 EDT 2016

On 05/22/2016 05:09 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> They also bought into Token Ring for a similar reason.  Yet the open
> ethernet standard and marketplace one.  It was just hard for central
> planners to handle.

Token ring had advantages over coax or hub Ethernet networks with
collisions.  Switches eliminated those advantages.

BTW, I recall trying and failing to get Linux working on a microchannel
PS/2 & token ring.  I was able to get it going on a ThinkPad with token
ring card, but it required a minor change to a config file.  I was using
Mandrake at the time, IIRC.