[GTALUG] the wicked waste that is closed Android hardware

Daniel Villarreal youcanlinux at gmail.com
Sat May 14 20:40:25 EDT 2016

On 05/14/2016 04:03 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: Daniel Villarreal <youcanlinux at gmail.com> ... | AFAIK, one
> of the developers is based in YYZ....
>
> I think that the Android device team was let go a while back.
> Rakuten/Kobo still support the Kobo Android application but there
> is not even a pretense of support for Kobo Arc or Vox Android
> tablets devices.  Think of the known security holes revealed since
> they went dark.
>
> It's a bit sad.  I have a Vox and an Arc 7HD.

I think that if you want to pursue this, I advise you check out the
Rakuten (if they're still the owners) and/or Kobo Japanese-language
web sites. If memory services they were always the most up-to-date and
the Japanese market got access to stuff earlier than everyone else. It
probably couldn't hurt to check Chinese web sites, also.

I'd like to think that Rakuten/Kobo would understand the importance of
continuing support for these expensive devices, otherwise, why would a
savvy customer spend money on one of these devices?

I do remember Rakuten management having really good stock market
valuation and wondered how much of that was due to the man in charge,
one of his practices was making his employees learn English. I wonder
if he's still there and if they've continued their tremendous success.
I always wonder if we could better interface with the Japanese by
studying their tea ceremony, and their culture, in general.

> | http://www.uscoffings.net/clc/tech/embedded/kobo-touch/
>
> Interesting.  About the ereaders, not the (Android) tablets.
>
> Useful.  Thanks.

You're welcome.

It used to be a real chore for GNU/Linux users to update their
e-readers, not a lot of info on the internet. Surely there has to be a
fair amount of interest in doing this.

- --
Daniel Villarreal
http://www.youcanlinux.org
youcanlinux at gmail.com
PGP key 2F6E 0DC3 85E2 5EC0 DA03  3F5B F251 8938 A83E 7B49
https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xF2518938A83E7B49