[GTALUG] [GTALUG-Announce] Meeting on Tuesday at 7:30pm

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Thu May 5 21:57:46 EDT 2016

On 05/05/2016 07:16 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, May 05, 2016 at 06:22:12PM -0400, Christopher Browne wrote:
>> We've had some issues with handling email coming from Yahoo! that seems
>> to relate to some anti-spam mechanisms.
>>
>> I am aware of colleagues that used to use Yahoo! for their mail that have
>> switched
>> to other mail services as consequence of (seeming relevant) changes in DMARC
>> policies.
>>
>> A relevant pointer: <
>> http://postgresql.nabble.com/New-email-address-td5874833.html>
>>
>> Now, what I'd been hearing was *last* year's news.  After the dust clouds
>> have
>> settled a bit, what's up these days with "Yahoo vs mailing lists?"
> Well yahoo pretty much says "Fuck up your mailing list settings
> or don't allow @yahoo.com users to post to your list anymore":
> https://yahoomail.tumblr.com/post/82426900353/yahoo-dmarc-policy-change-what-should-senders
>
> They want the mailing list to set the From field to be the mailing list
> rather than the actual sender.
>
> I guess they have decided technical users who are posting on mailing
> lists don't use @yahoo.com anyhow, so they don't care.  Or at least not
> enough of them do for it to be important.

If as a sending domain owner you set your SPF and DKIM/DMARC settings to
stop people from masquerading as your site then you will have side
effect of stopping any mail lists that send messages as if they were
from the poster.

Once upon a time mail was a nice friendly service where people ran open
relays and there was no problems.
Spammers have incrementally forced mail operators to add tighter and
tighter controls to keep their heads above water.
It may be that the next mail service to die will be mail lists.

I am in the process of clamping down on all  messages so that any mail
stamped as from a domain that I manage should get rejected by as many
sites as possible if the message is not from my server.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||