[GTALUG] ​Microsoft and Canonical partner to bring Ubuntu to Windows 10 | ZDNet

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Thu Mar 31 22:47:18 UTC 2016

iBCS2 was actually a system call interface standard and not a library.
A few years before the code appeared in Linux a group I worked with had
a version of iBCS compatibility running on DOS.
We were using an OS developed at the University of Toronto based on the
Turing language.

There is no reason the windows guys could not develop a system call
interface in the same way.
All the interfaces are open source so it would not be hard.

They will have problems with things like the /proc , /sys  and devices.

I have a feeling that it will work as well as WINE where about 10% of
the stuff I want to run will do anything at all.

On 03/31/2016 09:54 PM, Christopher Browne wrote:

> This brings back memories...
>
> It seems as though Microsoft has implemented a sort of equivalent to
> IBCS2.
>
> That was a kernel library sort of layer that allowed running binary
> for other UNIX flavours on Linux.  Run your old SCO apps on Linux and
> such...

Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||