[GTALUG] [Ddvorski at conestogac.on.ca: (important) notes for this weekend's Software Carpentry event]

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Thu Mar 31 22:14:07 UTC 2016

For some reason, I didn't get my first post.  So, here is again.
Note the room change.
--
William

----- Forwarded message from Dalibor Dvorski <Ddvorski at conestogac.on.ca> -----

Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 23:53:58 +0000
From: Dalibor Dvorski <Ddvorski at conestogac.on.ca>
Subject: (important) notes for this weekend's Software Carpentry event
To: Dalibor Dvorski <Ddvorski at conestogac.on.ca>

Dear attendees of the Software Carpentry workshop this weekend, we please ask that you review the following information prior to arriving for the workshop.

** Room Change **
Please note that we will be in room 1E05 (not 2A301 as originally advertised), as it is better equipped to handle our event.  Please refer to "The Venue" section below for directions to the college and this room.

Software Setup (and assistance)
Please prepare the required software on you laptop by following the operating system specific instructions on our event page:

http://ppomorsk.github.io/2016-04-02-conestoga/.  If you encounter any difficulties in the setup, let me know by replying to this message.  Referring to the Saturday schedule on our event page, you will see that we have set aside one hour prior to the start of the first workshop to help attendees through the software setup.  If you require this assistance, please shortly before 9:00 on Saturday and we will be most happy to help you install the software required for the weekend. Otherwise, if you can install the software yourself today or tomorrow, then you may arrive shortly before 10:00 for the first session on the Unix shell.

The Venue
Our workshop is being organized at the 'E' wing of Conestoga's main campus in Kitchener at 299 Doon Valley Drive.  For maps, please refer to http://conestogac.on.ca/campuses/doon/ and http://conestogac.on.ca/campuses/doon/siteplan.jsp.  The workshop will be organized in room 1E05, which is on the underground level of the 'E' wing.  The following two maps will assist you in getting to the room: http://conestogac.on.ca/campuses/doon/e1.jsp and http://conestogac.on.ca/campuses/doon/e2.jsp (level 2 is ground level, level 1 is underground level).

Parking
We will provide free parking for the event.  Referring to the above maps, we ask that you please park on one of the following lots: 13, 13B, 12, 11, or 14.

Grand River Transit
For those using Grand River Transit for transportation to and from the event, Conestoga's campus is accessible using route 10 from Fairview Park.  Please note that routes 16, 61, 110, 111, 116, and 203 are not in service at the college during weekends.  For those visiting us from University of Waterloo or Wilfrid Laurier University, you may use iXpress route 200 from Waterloo to Fairview Park and then transfer to route 10.  For those unable to attend the early sessions due to the reduced weekend service by GRT, you are still most welcome to attend the later sessions!

Lunch
Lunch has been scheduled at 1:00 p.m. on both days (please refer to the event Web page for the full schedule).  Such that you have an opportunity to interact and network with fellow attendees, we recommend that you bring your own lunch.  If you prefer to buy lunch, the on-campus Tim Hortons will be open on Saturday, but not on Sunday.  You may also visit McDonald's, Tim Hortons, Mango King, or Pino's Pizza across Homer Watson Boulevard and a five minute walk from the venue of our workshops:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/299+Doon+Valley+Dr,+Kitchener,+ON+N2P+2N6,+Canada/@43.3867734,-80.4116157,18z/<https://www.google.com/maps/place/299+Doon+Valley+Dr,+Kitchener,+ON+N2P+2N6,+Canada/@43.3867734,-80.4116157,18z/data=%214m2%213m1%211s0x882b8a78cad8e0c7:0xff890e93ef71682>

Coffee and Tim Bits
We will provide attendees with free Tim Hortons coffee and Tim Bits during both days of the event, starting at the first morning break.

Draws for Free Raspberry Pi computers and Gift Cards
Since this is a computing event after all, the draws for the two Raspberry Pi computers, two $20 Conestoga Bookstore giftcards, and

two $20 Chartwells lunch cards will be done electronically.  Please refer to the event schedule on when these draws will be taking place, and keep an eye on your email inbox at these times to see if you have been selected.  If selected, you will then pick up your gift in person at the event.  All registered to attend the event will be included in the draw, but in order to receive your gift, you must be physically present at the venue if and when your name is chosen.

Thank you, everyone.  If you have any questions, please let me know.  We look forward to seeing you this weekend!

Dalibor

----- End forwarded message -----