[GTALUG] One of the First Computer TV shows from the 80s.

Ian Garmaise ian.g at phorixsol.com
Mon Mar 28 21:21:28 UTC 2016

|| When I was at Logo Computer Systems in Montreal,

| Now there was (is?) an interesting company.

They are still in business, focusing mostly on Microworlds.

| I think Papert was involved. (One of the inventors of Logo).  In fact,
| I inferred that several MIT folks were involved.

Papert was chairman.  He is still around but has serious health challenges.
Other major MIT figure was Papert's student, Brian Silverman, VP R&D,
with whom I'm still good friends.
All of the 6502, 8088, Z80 (MSX) versions were written in assembly
language using our
own custom tools running on CADR Lisp machines (which I maintained).

| They manage to implement a very nice logo on several 8-bit machines.
|  We had a Logo cartridge for our Atari 800xl.  But they did apple and
|  (duh) c64 too.

|  Their logo on the Atari 800xl was much nicer than the Digital Research
| logo on the Atari ST (a much more powerful machine).

I don't believe we had anything to do with Atari ST Logo, although we
did other work for DR.  Atari 800 Logo was an amazing achievement
given the constraints,
as was C-64 Logo (sprites were a killer on that one according to a
developer I spoke to).
I finally met Nolan Bushnell last year, not sure he had much to do
with Atari Logo, but he knew who Papert was.
I thanked him for Pong, the original Atari machines, and Chuck E
Cheese.  Forgot to mention hiring Jobs and Wozniak.

| They went on to create Microworlds.  The system programming language
| used internally was Logo (not exposed to the users).  After all, Logo
| at its heart has a lisp spirit, so it is quite capable (with their
| extra primitives).

We also created Lego Logo, the forerunner of some more recent Lego products.

| For a U of T course, we extended Microworlds for program animation.
| With the help of a very sharp guy from LCS (20 years later I no longer
| remember his name).

(Might be Brian).

I worked there for 10 years, from just before Mac Logo (never went
anywhere, actually it was called Microsoft Logo (believe it or not))
to the Microworlds era.

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 6:27 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh at mimosa.com> wrote:
> | From: Ian Garmaise <ian.g at phorixsol.com>
>
> | When I was at Logo Computer Systems in Montreal,
>
> Now there was (is?) an interesting company.
>
> I think Papert was involved. (One of the inventors of Logo).  In fact,
> I inferred that several MIT folks were involved.
>
> They manage to implement a very nice logo on several 8-bit machines.
> We had a Logo cartridge for our Atari 800xl.  But they did apple and
> (duh) c64 too.
>
> Their logo on the Atari 800xl was much nicer than the Digital Research
> logo on the Atari ST (a much more powerful machine).
>
> They went on to create Microworlds.  The system programming language
> used internally was Logo (not exposed to the users).  After all, Logo
> at its heart has a lisp spirit, so it is quite capable (with their
> extra primitives).
>
> For a U of T course, we extended Microworlds for program animation.
> With the help of a very sharp guy from LCS (20 years later I no longer
> remember his name).

=====
Ian Garmaise
Consultant