[GTALUG] Netgear 5-port Gigabit switch -- $10 ?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sun Mar 27 23:04:19 UTC 2016

| From: James Knott <james.knott at rogers.com>

| On 03/27/2016 10:31 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
| > SSH does a few things for authentication.

| > Users can authenticate with a client via passwords or via a public
| > key.

| I thought ssh used a public/private key system, at least when used
| passwordless.  I have to generate a public/private key pair and place
| the public key on the servers I connect to and keep the private key on
| my computer.  Also, Cisco gear supports ssh with RSA keys.

SSH support more than one public key cryptosystem.  But it also
supports plain old UNIX passwords.  And some other systems that I've
never used.

As I mentioned elsewhere, it is usually a good idea to disable
password authentication on internet-facing ssh servers.  That's a
setting in /etc/ssh/sshd_config.