[GTALUG] One of the First Computer TV shows from the 80s.

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 21:04:03 UTC 2016

On 2016-03-27 05:19 PM, Dev Guy wrote:
> I just started to watch the TVO episode and had a good laugh of the
> tape loading the software

Hey, don't knock 'em. They were cheap and pretty reliable. For some
reason (import tariffs? lower disposable income?) floppy drives were
pretty rare in the UK. They were still faster than a Commodore 64 disk
drive, though. Odd that a company that had its own chip fab was so
profligate with resources, when UK computers - built from generic chips
and a whole load of corner-cutting - could do more with much less.

If you wish to relive the joys of tape data storage, he's a KCS format
reader/writer that I've used to send and receive data from very old
computers:

http://dabeaz.blogspot.ca/2010/08/decoding-superboard-ii-cassette-audio.html

If you want a more useful transfer method, Kamal Mostafa's minimodem is
included in most distros. It's a general purpose software FSK modem. For
maximal annoyance of everyone around you, try using minimodem and your
computer speakers to send files to a nearby computer. It really works!

cheers,
 Stewart