[GTALUG] Netgear 5-port Gigabit switch -- $10 ?

James Knott james.knott at rogers.com
Sat Mar 26 17:42:17 UTC 2016

On 03/25/2016 08:21 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> UNFORTUNATELY the protocol, while undisclosed, cannot be secured.
> This is a security disaster.  I have a few of the 8-port version that
> I haven't used because of this problem.

According to the manual, you can put a password on the switch.  Have you
looked at the protocol with Wireshark to see if it uses plain text?

Would you be interested in parting with one of those 8 port switches?

As for security, I do a fair bit of work with Cisco gear and am a CCNA.
Telnet is very often used to configure them, which is plain text.