[GTALUG] FDD/USB emulator

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Mar 21 13:52:09 UTC 2016

On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 01:33:58PM +0100, Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
> Dears,
>
> Did anyone around had anything with these?
>
> Since FDD is commonly not used anymore and since there is still around a lot
> of equipment using it some fine people come with the idea of building a
> replacement for FDD that would emulate its functioning while the data would
> be stored on USB pen drive. It is indeed a good idea: I guess that a mass
> production of the device should be no more than around 20-50 $ while these
> units are sold for up to 500 US$ (in Poland up to 500 PLN, which is 4 times
> less). Where that is used? Very often still, in programmable musical
> instruments and, first of all, in machines used in industry. I am landed now
> at the National Center for Nuclear Research near Warsaw, Poland. And I was
> given such a toy, a FDD/USB emulator (EMUF-720F), for installing it in
> Robofill 200 machine which is used for wire-cutting metal. I am fine with
> that. After some Internet searching I know already, mostly, how to use it.
> With one exception: I do not know how to boot the machine from that
> emulator.
>
> Help is to be sincerely appreciated.

I use a floppy emulator with my Amiga.  Works great.  It actually emulates
two floppy drives at once in this case which is handy, and you can store
a lot of floppies on an SD card at once.

I use this one:
http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emulator/index.html#SDCARDFloppyemulator

The feature set is quite impressive.

--