[GTALUG] Linux and Stereo Speaker Cables

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Tue Mar 15 10:25:06 UTC 2016

| From: Alvin Starr <alvin at netvel.net>

    A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.

    A: Yes.
    Q: Should I trim down the quoted part of an email to which I'm
       replying?

<http://www.idallen.com/topposting.html>

| Canada had a pretty good audio industry going back quite a ways.

| Radio Speakers of Canada was old when I was young but they seem to be long
| gone now.
| They made some pretty good speakers in Ontario but they never had quite the
| sex appeal of Bose or Lansing.

I didn't know of Radio Speakers of Canada, but Google found this
interesting article that mentions R.S.C and NRC and PSB
<http://www.stereophile.com/interviews/231/index.html.
It mentions that Ian Masters suggested to
Paul Barton of PSB that he should see Floyd Toole of the NRC.  (I met
Ian once because he was the husband of a schoolmate of mine.)

The article mentions Stanley Lipshitz who I had as a 2nd year calculus
prof.  I also heard him speak at a meeting to the Toronto chapter of
the Audio Engineering Society.

| My guess is that NAFTA and production in China made sure Canadian production
| was killed off.

Mass production, yes.  Audiophile products don't have quite that cost pressure.

Right.  But what I said was:

| > I guess Harper cured NRC of this kind of adventures.

I'm talking about curiosity-driven research.  That's probably where
Toole started.  It later became commercially consequential.  That's
not possible in Harper's model of the NRC.