[GTALUG] Linux and Stereo Speaker Cables

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Mon Mar 14 14:50:51 UTC 2016

Canada had a pretty good audio industry going back quite a ways.

Radio Speakers of Canada was old when I was young but they seem to be
long gone now.
They made some pretty good speakers in Ontario but they never had quite
the sex appeal of Bose or Lansing.

My guess is that NAFTA and production in China made sure Canadian
production was killed off.

So as much as Harper screwed science in Canada I doubt that he killed
off the loudspeaker industry.

On 03/14/2016 01:12 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: phiscock at ee.ryerson.ca
>
> | I used to write for Audio Scene Magazine, and worked with Floyd Toole at
> | the National Research Council on loudspeaker evaluation.
>
> I subscribed to that magazine.  I think I remember your name on some
> articles (but my memory is fuzzy on that).
>
> The work at NRC on loudspeakers was groundbreaking.  As I understand
> it, this created a Canadian edge in loudspeaker design that allowed
> several companies to break into the industry world-wide.
>
> I guess Harper cured NRC of this kind of adventures.
> <http://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/science-under-siege-part-1-1.3091552>
> <http://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/science-under-siege-part-2-1.3098865>
> <http://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/science-under-siege-part-3-1.3101953>
> (The audio I'm listening to these days; HiFi not required.)

Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||