[GTALUG] Linux and Stereo Speaker Cables

phiscock at ee.ryerson.ca phiscock at ee.ryerson.ca
Sun Mar 13 17:45:13 UTC 2016

A buddy of mine worked at one of the large electronics chains and talks of
the incredible markup on cables and connectors. So stay away from the
Consumer Electronics stores for those items.

I've always found Canada Computer to be reasonably priced and got some
HDMI cables at the local Dollarama that seem to be fine quality - for a
fraction of the cost of the Big Box stores.

At one point, Canada Computers had some nice outlet strip units (yellow,
in a square, with 7 outlets and a pilot light and switch), for something
like $10. I bought as many as I could carry. They later showed up at
Canadian Tire 'on sale' for about double that.

However, Canadian Tire sometimes has reasonable deals. They had a nice
little battery tester meter that actually loads the battery, which leads
to a more accurate assessment of the state of the battery than just
measuring with a voltmeter.

(An aside: some local entrepreneur registered the URL 'Crappy Tire'.
Canadian Tire then went to court and had to argue that Crappy Tire was
actually their trademark. They lost, and had to settle with the owner.)

Peter