[GTALUG] Linux and Stereo Speaker Cables

James Knott james.knott at rogers.com
Sun Mar 13 11:41:21 UTC 2016

On 03/13/2016 11:23 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> |   For low level audio, the
> | plain shielded cables with "phono" plugs are all you need.
>
> RCA connectors can be crappy.  Some dollar-store cables might not be
> good enough.  Probably you can tell by feel if they are crappy.

I tend to avoid dollars stores as most of what they sell is crappy.

> For video signals, even cables with RCA plugs should be co-ax (as I
> understand it).  I think that applies to digital audio cables too (I'm
> not sure and I'm too lazy to google).  I don't know if co-ax cables
> are better or worse for analogue audio but they are not what is
> conventionally used.

Audio cables, connected to plugs are coaxial, but often wrapped shield,
rather than braided.
Digital cables are often shielded to prevent interference to other
devices, but the shield doesn't have much effect on the desired signal,
as digital signals are inherently resistant to noise.

> One hint is colour.  Yellow means video, white and red mean audio.  I
> don't actually know if there is a convention for digital audio.
> Component video comes in three colours, usually as one bundle.

Red & white, stereo audio
Yellow, composite video
Red, green & blue, component video.

Equipment often has corresponding colours on the jacks, to ensure the
correct connections.

All the above are "RCA" plugs.  S-Video has a special mini-DIN connector.