[GTALUG] Linux and Stereo Speaker Cables

James Knott james.knott at rogers.com
Sun Mar 13 10:32:59 UTC 2016

On 03/13/2016 05:00 AM, Randy Jonasz wrote:
> I know this is a stretch but I do listen to my stereo with my Manjaro laptop
> connected to a DAC connected to my amplifier.  Could any electrical engineers
> offer advice about the difference stereo speaker cables make to sound?

Generally speaking, if a cable isn't falling apart, it's OK.  Premium
cables from Monster, etc. are a waste of money.  A few years ago, a
magazine called "Radio Electronics" did a test, comparing Monster cables
with ordinary lamp cord.  There was no measurable difference.  So, just
go to a hardware store and buy some lamp cord.  For low level audio, the
plain shielded cables with "phono" plugs are all you need.

Just remember the old saying: "an audiophile and his money are soon parted".