[GTALUG] FDD/USB emulator

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 10:01:41 UTC 2016

Hi Zbigniew -

Not familiar with the particular EMUF-720F device you mentioned, but
there are many micro-controller based floppy disc emulators, and I use a
couple with my older devices.

Getting a floppy drive to appear bootable was usually done with jumpers
on the circuit board. Is the old (non working?) drive available? How you
did it varied by drive manufacturer. Some pictures of drive options are
here:
http://embeddedsw.net/EMUFDD_Floppy_Hardware_Emulator_Home.html#Jumpering

The boot drive is usually DS0, but I have a system that will only boot
from DS1, so there's no standard.

Keeping old hardware running - especially solid old CNC machinery - is
really important. If all else fails, I have sources for most old floppy
drives and media, but they are getting rarer and less reliable every year.

cheers,
 Stewart