[GTALUG] What would you use to host VM's

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Tue Mar 8 16:04:11 UTC 2016

On 03/08/2016 03:38 PM, Dave Cramer wrote:

> On 8 March 2016 at 15:33, Alvin Starr <alvin at netvel.net
> <mailto:alvin at netvel.net>> wrote:
>
>     At the bottom end you can use virsh/libvirt and virt-manager to
>     handle a small to medium number of VM's over a number of host
>     machines.
>

> Ya I was aware of this, works fine for a "couple"

Well I run 4 host systems with with about 20 defined VMs but I usually
only have 5-10 running at any given time.
It works ok  and is just there out of the box with no worries about
configuration.

>     There is also complete distributions like Proxmox that can manage VM's
>
>     There are several cloud frameworks that will allow you to build
>     out to large size.
>     I have worked with a number of the OpenStack toolkits and you can
>     get reasonable simple installation using RDO Packstack.
>
>     The upside of cloud frameworks over libvirt or proxmox is that you
>     have better isolation between VMs if that is important to you.
>
>     The biggest problem is that there is SO much choice and all the
>     products have a lot of capability overlap.
>

> Hence the question
>

>     Are these 50VMs going to be running at the same time or will it be
>     something like 50 test images and only 1 or 2 running at one time?
>
> not all on the same host obviously
I have a client who has a couple of 768GB of ram systems so 50VMs on a
box that big would be doable.

>     How may host machines to you expect to have?
>

> as required by the VM's
>

>     Do you plan to have a separate system to manage and co-ordinate
>     the VMs?
>

> I gather this is a good idea?

Take a look at RDO packstack. You can start with the --allinone install
to play and get a feel for how OpenStack works.
Another solution that I forgot to mention is Mirantis.
They have an excellent product that installs and manages OpenStack.
They are primarily trying to sell their services but they are based on
opensource so you can get a reduced less friendly version from the net.
To their credit if you have a rack full of servers and a Mirantis image
you can have a working cloud the same day.

If you feel like giving Packstack a try find me off the list and I can
talk you through getting started.

I searched out the following for a client a couple of years ago and I am
sure it will put you to sleep tracking them all down and searching.**
*
Abiquo <http://www.abiquo.com/>*

  *

    Supporting VMware ESX, ESXi, Microsoft Hyper-V, Citrix XenServer /
    Xen, Virtual Box and KVM, Abiquo supports all the common
    virtualization engines. Designed for multi-tenancy and available in
    both a free community edition and an enterprise edition with
    different features.

  *

    *CA 3Tera AppLogic <http://www.3tera.com/>*
    Commercial platform from 3Tera based on Xen, designed for commodity
    hardware without the need for a SAN due to its integrated
    distributed storage solution. Web interface, API and resource
    metering is included in the AppLogic turnkey solution.

  *

    *Cloud.com CloudStack <http://www.cloud.com/>*
    Designed for multi-tenant solutions with support for Xenserver, VM
    and VMware vSphere. Cloud.com’s CloudStack supports
    billing/metering, web interface, APIs based on existing standards
    and virtual networking with segmentation of network traffic into VLANs.

  *

    *Convirture ConVirt <http://www.convirture.com/>*
    Available in an open source and commercial version, both with
    support for thin provisioning, template library, live migration
    while only the commercial version support high availability, backup
    functionality, VLAN integration and resource limiting.

  *

    *ElasticStack <http://www.elasticstack.com/>*
    The ElasticStack platform is offered by cloud provider ElasticHosts,
    designed specially for service providers with billing, web
    administration and API. Removes the need for a SAN, but utilizing
    storage on the local hypervisor nodes.

  *

    *Enomaly Elastic Computing Platform (ECP) <http://www.enomally.com/>*
    Designed for service providers with automation in mind, with the
    ability to integrate with existing billing systems via Enomalys API.
    Includes self-service web interface and support for the most common
    hypervisors, as well as a special feature that enables Enomaly
    providers to sell spare capacity via their SpotCloud platform.

  *

    *Eucalyptus <http://www.eucalyptus.com/>*
    Eucalyptus is an open source cloud platform, available with
    commercial support, that was originally started as a university
    project but since commercialized. Designed to be hypervisor agnostic
    and compatible with the widely used EC2 API.

  *

    *Flexiant Extility <http://www.extility.com/>*
    Extility was created by cloud provider Flexiant to manage entire
    virtual data centers, and provides a turnkey cloud solution aimed at
    service providers with full API as well as an extensive web based
    control panel with integrated billing. In addition a commodity based
    SAN solution called Flexisan can also be provided to remove the need
    for enterprise storage.

  *

    *HP CloudSystem
    <http://www8.hp.com/us/en/solutions/solutions-detail.html?compURI=tcm:245-825635>*
    An enterprise oriented commercial solution from HP, designed for
    both private, public and hybrid clouds. Designed with automation in
    mind and includes a self-service portal with built in service
    catalog with support for predefined templates.

  *

    *IBM CloudBurst
    <http://www-01.ibm.com/software/tivoli/products/cloudburst/>*
    IBM CloudBurst is an enterprise targeted product providing resource
    monitoring and cost management through a self service portal with
    built in service catalog and prepackaged templates.

  *

    *Incontinuum CloudController <http://www.incontinuum.com/>*
    Commercial solution from the Dutch company InContinuum Software,
    that automates and simplifies the management of a virtual data center.

  *

    *Nimbula Director <http://www.nimbula.com/>*
    Nimbula Director was created by some of the people behind Amazons
    EC2 technology, and aim to provide both enterprises and service
    proviers with a simple software solution to build private, public or
    hybrid clod infrastructure. Includes both web administration plus
    API, and available in a free edition for smaller deployments.

  *

    *Novell Cloud Manager <http://www.novell.com/products/cloud-manager/>*
    The Novell Cloud Manager is a commercial solution aimed at
    enterprise usage, with utilization tracking, template based
    provisioning, VLAN management and built in pricing plus approval
    process for provisioning.

  *

    *OnApp <http://www.onapp.com/>*
    OnApp is a turnkey solution aimed specially at hosting providers,
    integrating with existing billing solutions widely used by service
    providers and providing end user API and control panel. Originates
    from the service provider VPS.NET, but today OnApp is an independent
    company.

  *

    *OpenNebula <http://www.opennebula.org/>*
    Fully open source solution that provides a set of management tools
    with full API and a simple web interface, enabling organizations to
    build their own cloud platform around it to fit their own needs.
    Commercial solutions with support also available.

  *

    *OpenQRM <http://www.openqrm.com/>*
    Open source solution with commercial support, aiming to provide a
    complete data center management platform with focus on automation,
    rapid deployment, monitoring and high availability cloud computing.
    Support the most common hypervisors as well as OpenVZ, Virtualbox
    and LXC.

  *

    *OpenStack <http://www.openstack.org/>*
    OpenStack is an open source project originating from Rackspace and
    NASA, aiming to provide more open standards within the industry.
    OpenStack includes both a compute and a storage project.

  *

    *Parallels Automation for Cloud Infrastructure (CI)
    <http://www.parallels.com/eu/products/iaas/>*
    Cloud Infrastructure from Parallels is part of their Automation
    product, intended to automate the provisioning and management of
    virtual servers for service providers. Designed for multi-tenancy
    and integrated with their billing, management is available either
    via control panel or API.

  *

    *VMware vCloud <http://www.vmware.com/products/vcloud/overview.html>*
    VMware vCloud solutions are commercial solutions based on VMwares
    own hypervisor, making it possible to provide on-demand,
    pay-as-you-go infrastructure as a service.

  *

    *Xen Cloud Platform (XCP) <http://www.xen.org/products/cloudxen.html>*
    XCP is an open source solution based on the Xen Hypervisor, aimed to
    cover the isolation and security needs of a multi-tenant deployment.
    API support as well as some community driven graphical user interfaces.

alvin at netvel.net              ||