[GTALUG] What would you use to host VM's

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Tue Mar 8 15:33:07 UTC 2016

At the bottom end you can use virsh/libvirt and virt-manager to handle a
small to medium number of VM's over a number of host machines.

There is also complete distributions like Proxmox that can manage VM's

There are several cloud frameworks that will allow you to build out to
large size.
I have worked with a number of the OpenStack toolkits and you can get
reasonable simple installation using RDO Packstack.

The upside of cloud frameworks over libvirt or proxmox is that you have
better isolation between VMs if that is important to you.

The biggest problem is that there is SO much choice and all the products
have a lot of capability overlap.

Are these 50VMs going to be running at the same time or will it be
something like 50 test images and only 1 or 2 running at one time?

How may host machines to you expect to have?

Do you plan to have a separate system to manage and co-ordinate the VMs?

On 03/08/2016 03:18 PM, Dave Cramer wrote:
> What open source framework would you use to host a limited number < 50
> VM's
>
> Ideally has a GUI, but not absolutely necessary.
>
> Dave Cramer

Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||