[GTALUG] mysterious restarts

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Mon Jun 27 21:18:43 EDT 2016

On 06/27/2016 08:35 PM, Russell Reiter via talk wrote:

> On Jun 27, 2016 7:59 PM, "Michael Galea via talk" <talk at gtalug.org
> <mailto:talk at gtalug.org>> wrote:
> >
> > On 06/26/16 10:39, Russell Reiter wrote:
> <snip>
> > Now, I have to say, if you have ANY experience with electric
> utilities I would imagine you are positively laughing by now. When one
> utility CEO was recently asked how they slept at night they replied
> "Just like a baby, I sleep for two hours and then I cry until morning".
> >
> This is the dichotomy of private ownership of public utilities.
>
> I rather liked your earlier comment along the line of; in order to
> break even in an environment which squeezes out the small but
> innovative operations, you would need to reuse/sell any excess heat
> generated.
>
> On a side note, I believe there was a steam plant downtown which
> serviced several commercial buildings for heating at one time. I think
> I also read about a deep water shared cooling project here in the city
> but I haven't heard anything lately.

Your thinking of Enwave.
There are a fair number of buildings using Enwave heating and cooling.
I had an office in an Enwave building at Adelaide and Victoria.
They ripped out the steam boilers and were using only the steam from
Enwave freeing up a bunch of space in the basement for things like
backup generators.
Enwave also provides the deep lake cold water to areas West of Yonge(as
of a few years ago) I would be willing to bet that 151 Front uses Enwave.
Enwave also runs a generating facility where the waste heat is used as
part of the steam sold to the other buildings.

> I guess my point is that; blending technologies happens over time and
> usually over the objections of the for profit status quo.
>

> > --
> > Michael Galea
> > ---

Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||