[GTALUG] mysterious restarts

James Knott james.knott at rogers.com
Sun Jun 26 10:52:55 EDT 2016

On 06/26/2016 10:39 AM, Russell Reiter via talk wrote:

> Here's a neat phone grid tap for failover. Keep your phone charged
> during a blackout.
>
> https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cUxx-4bUo4Q

Ummm...

Couple of points here.  Many people no longer have analog phone lines.
Some have VoIP phones or terminals and others rely entirely on cell
phones.  I have a VoIP terminal that has a built in battery.  Other
people I know have VoIP without built in battery or only a cell phone.
Also, that video mentions using a diode to protect against the ringing
voltage.  Well, that diode will only protect the voltage regulator from
1 half of the ring cycle, where the voltage goes negative.  On the
positive half, the regulator will be subject to a peak voltage of about
126V on top of the input DC voltage.  That will destroy the regulator
and possibly whatever is being charged.  So, you will need some means of
ensuring the regulator is not exposed to damaging high voltage.