[GTALUG] Ubuntu snap

ac ac at main.me
Sat Jun 25 02:12:08 EDT 2016

On Fri, 24 Jun 2016 17:36:37 -0400
Lennart Sorensen via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 04:54:30PM -0400, Michael Hill via talk wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 4:42 PM, Lennart Sorensen via talk
> > <talk at gtalug.org>
> > > Well the snap containers do sound interesting.  It seems to solve
> > > the problem of having the right library versions for a given task.
> > > Of course I also wonder if this doesn't create the problem of how
> > > to update insecure libraries that distributions tried to solve in
> > > the first place by only having oen shared copy of a given library
> > > to update. Maybe they have some concept of using system libraries
> > > for some things. I haven't checked the details that much on it
> > > yet.
> > As long as you don't get your information from the press release:
> >
> > https://www.happyassassin.net/2016/06/16/on-snappy-and-flatpak-business-as-usual-in-the-canonical-propaganda-department/
> Yeah that pretty much matches what I thought was the state of things.

Snappy, nice name sounds like a name for App's and rhymes with Happy,
Clappy, Nappy, Pappy and Crappy

Other container application management like Applmage, FaltPak/xdg etc
all have boring names..

even though, imho, http://appimage.org/ is philosophically the best of the lot :)

Linux (press?) is becoming sooo gentrified