[GTALUG] Ubuntu snap

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Jun 24 16:42:36 EDT 2016

On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 03:58:26PM -0400, ted leslie via talk wrote:
> never heard of it until just stumbled across this:
>
> http://betanews.com/2016/06/14/ubuntu-snap-packages-linux-distros-fedora-arch-mint-opensuse/
>
> If its "good", doesn't it sort of defeat the strength of some distro's
> whose best attribute is package management, i.e. what folks claim of arch?
>
> Interesting to see what becomes of it (how much adoption).
>
> Stumbled across it, because its Mint 18 time soon!!!!!!! its like x-mas!

Well the snap containers do sound interesting.  It seems to solve
the problem of having the right library versions for a given task.
Of course I also wonder if this doesn't create the problem of how to
update insecure libraries that distributions tried to solve in the first
place by only having oen shared copy of a given library to update.
Maybe they have some concept of using system libraries for some things.
I haven't checked the details that much on it yet.

It does seem a bit like trying to create apps for linux systems.  The fact
that more distributions recently have started to support it does make it
potentially interesting, much more so than when only Ubuntu supported it.

Maybe it will provide a way to distribute packages that work on multiple
distributions, rather like LSB once hoped to do but failed badly at.

--
Len Sorensen