[GTALUG] War Story: for want of a nail...

phiscock at ee.ryerson.ca phiscock at ee.ryerson.ca
Sun Jun 19 18:32:09 EDT 2016

> I went to Home Depot and found some nuts and machine screws to do the
> job. 4-40 by 1 inch.  I just hope that they don't cause shorts.
>
> I had to buy a pack of 26 screws and another of 28 nuts.  It is
> interesting that those numbers are not equal.  I'd have to buy 13
> boxes of nuts and 14 boxes of screws to have the same number of each.

There used to be a place called Feeney Hardware, where you could buy boxes
of that kind of hardware.

Another good place to check out: John's Photo Hobby on the Danforth near
Woodbine. They had small diameter threaded rod and nuts to match, from
which you can make bolts of any length. They also have various diameters
of copper tubing which can be useful in construction projects. For
example, two tube diameters that nest can form a simple bearing mechanism.

--
Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto