[GTALUG] mysterious restarts

Michael Galea michael at galeahome.ca
Sat Jun 18 19:58:10 EDT 2016

On 06/16/16 15:50, Lennart Sorensen via talk wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 11:55:12AM -0400, Scott Allen wrote:
>> My first computer, a Poly-88 8080 based system, did (I still have it).
>> <http://www.polymorphic-computers.com/poly88.html>
>
> OK, certainly a long time ago.
>
>> The transformer used for the linear power supply was tapped, rectified
>> and clamped to feed to an interrupt pin. The interrupt routine would
>> increment a counter in RAM which was accessible for real time
>> calculations.
>
> That's neat.

You know of course that the grid frequency is only approximately 60.00
hz.  For example, it was 59.97 hz on Friday at around 5 PM.  I have
heard rumors that the generators spin the grid up to above 60 hz in the
early morning hours to compensate for the drift, but I don't know if
thats a fact.  I often see the grid at 60.01 hz, in the middle of the
day though.

--
Michael Galea