[GTALUG] fuel [was: mysterious restarts]

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Sat Jun 18 22:13:24 EDT 2016

On 06/18/2016 08:31 PM, James Knott via talk wrote:
> On 06/18/2016 07:34 PM, Loui Chang wrote:
>> Not a great incentive. Propane which is cheaper and burns cleaner than gas, is
>> already widespread and easy to obtain and is already being used in vehicles.
>>
>> Why hasn't it overtaken gasoline as the fuel of choice?
>>

> It's still tricky to handle and it's also a fossil fuel, which adds CO2
> to the atmosphere, no matter how clean it is otherwise.  We have to get
> away from fossil fuels.

Gas and diesel have about 100 years of use they are reasonably easy to
transport.
Propane/LNG are compressed gas and have explosion risks (Think Sunrise
propane).
Both also have less power per unit of volume so you end up with a bigger
tank to go the same distance.

And what the hell.
Its not like we will be around to see the world really goes to shit.

On the upside all our retirement investments in the oil companies will
do well in the short term.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||