[GTALUG] Thinkpad [3]: Aligning size of dm-crypt and partition/filesystem

Matt Price moptop99 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 11:38:58 EDT 2016

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 11:59 PM, Allan Zhang <allan at azic.ca> wrote:

> Matt,
>
> just curious, is there any reason you chose a MBR +UEFI boot?
>

> Surely your laptop came with Windows, which mandates that GPT accompanies
> UEFI.

I think because this was (is!) my first UEFI laptop and I was unfamiliar
with GPT when I first partitioned the disk. I wiped windows right away so
tha wasn't an issue for me.  It was also my first Arch install, so there
were a number of unfamiliar elements, and I stuck to what I knew where I
could.

> Could you have used your M.2 for swap?

I certainly expected to. On boot, the kernel seemed to have trouble finding
the M.2 device, and I couldn't immediately tell what the problem was, so it
seemed easiest to make space on the old drive and put the swap there.

> As for suspend to RAM, aka regular suspend, I find my Thinkpad does not
> live for too long (a few hours) in this state, evident by the "i" LED not
> blinking anymore. It's very strange that you have to remove the battery
> though.

I don't think those two issues are the same. The battery doesn't drain out
on my laptop; instead, I think something goes wrong in the electronics of
the power circuitry. I'm not sure what causes it but there are reports of
similar behaviour online.

> Also, wouldn't suspending to RAM defeat the purpose of your encrypted disk?

...  yeeeeesssss...  though since I'm not encrypting the suspend2disk image
either, that is at least as big an issue as s2ram, I suppose.  In general
it seems to me that best practices are still hard to implement fully unless
you're willing to devote a fair amount of time to develoing the necessary
expertise.