[GTALUG] mysterious restarts

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Wed Jun 15 12:29:18 EDT 2016

Russell writes:
> Take a look at a trolly pole then a pantograph array and tell me
> the pantograph needs less maintainence till EOL

It's not the pantograph that requires less maintenance, it's the
overhead wires. A single trolley pole requires the overhead wire to
have switches (like track switches, not electrical switches) at
intersections and any location where the streetcar can choose a
direction. Very often there are disconnections as the trolley pole
moves from one wire to another. That can't be good for the circuitry.
And how often does the trolley pole come disconnected from the
overhead wire?

OTOH, the wires for the pantograph can be continuous, there can be
multiple wires at intersections, and there are far fewer
disconnections, intentional or accidental.

- --Bob.